Repairs to Your Home


Depending on your individual circumstances, and whether you live in a rented property or own your home, you may be able to get help with some repairs.

If you rent your home always check with your landlord in the first instance - they may be responsible for the repair.

If you need larger work or adaptations because you are elderly or disabled, or want to make changes to your home to keep the cost of bills down or make it warmer, visit the grants or energy efficiency pages on this site.

Help if you are a Council Or Housing Association Tenant

Depending on the type of repair you need your landlord may be responsible for the work, or you may have to make arrangements yourself. In general the Council or Housing Association looks after the structure of your home and ensures that fittings for water, sanitation, gas and electricity are safe and in working order. Most other repairs will be your responsibility.

Council tenants should contact the Contact One Vale repair reporting line on 01446 709 520 to report a repair. Housing Association tenants should contact their landlord direct.

Help if you are and Older Person or Disabled

If You are aged 60+ or disabled and either own your own home or rent from a private landlord, Care & Repair may be able to help with your repairs or home improvements. Care & Repair work in the Vale of Glamorgan and provide a number of schemes including a Handyperson Service and Safter at Home Service.

Help for Private Tenants

If you rent your home from a private landlord make sure that you read your tenancy agreement when you take on the tenancy and are aware of the types or repairs that you are responsible for, and what will be done by your  landlord.

If your landlord is reluctanct to undertake repairs or you believe that your home is unsafe always get advice. You can contact the Council Housing Advice Team, Environmental Health or one of the independant advice agencies in the Vale of Glamorgan.