Maximise your Income

Maximise your income

For the majority of people struggling to pay their rent/mortgage or struggling with debts the tendancy is to only look at how you can reduce your outgoings. However; it may be possible to increase your incomings in order to make you rent/mortgage more affordable or to help with your debts.

  • Rent a room out -  if you have a spare room getting a lodger can be a great way to get extra income and contribution towards household costs. If you are claiming housing benefits check with the Councils Housing Benefits department to see how this may effect you.
  • Get a second job - an extra part-time or 'relief' work job can be a great way to boost your income. 
  • Check your benefit entitlement - ensure that you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to.
  • Tax Credits - nine out of ten families with children qualify for tax credits, but you don't need to have children to claim. You may also qualify if you are working and on a low income.
  • Check you are on the correct tax code - you may be paying to much income tax check here to ensure you are paying the correct amout.
  • Child Maintenance - is usually regular, reliable financial support that helps towards a child's everyday living costs. Any seperated parents can arrange child maintenance between themselves if they both agree to it. This is called a family-based arrangement. Where this is not possible, parents can ask the Child support Agency (CSA) or courts to get involved.
  • Contribution from non-dependants - A non-dependant is someone other that your partner who lives with you. Can grown up children or non-dependant adults contribute towards the household bills?
  • Overtime - ask your employer if there are any overtime opportunitees in order to increase your income.

Housing Benefit & Council Tax Benefit

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit help people on low incomes to pay their rent and council tax bills. The Vale of Glamorgan Council has an online benefits calculator for you to find out if you may qualify for these benefits.

One application form can be used to apply for both benefits, benefits are not usually backdated so ensure you get your form in with all supporting documets on the say you need the benefits to start.

Tax Credits

Nine out of ten families with children qualify for tax credits, but you don't need to have children to claim. You may also qualify if you are working and on a low income.

Child Tax Credit is paid if you are responsible for at least one child or a young person who normally lives witth you. You don't have to be working to claim Child Tax Credits.

Working Tax Credits is based on the hours you work and get paid for, or expect to be paid for. You can claim whether you're an employee or a self-employed person.

Use the Tax Credits calculator to check whether you qualify and find out how much you may get.

Other Benefits

There is a whole range of benefits that you may be entitled to claim from the Department of Work & Pensions - Your benefit entitlements will depend on your circumstances such as whether you are:

  • unemployed or working and on a low income,
  • you are disabled,
  • you are single or have a family, or
  • you are caring for some one.

Directgov offer an online 'benefits advisor' to help you find out which benefits you may be able to get and how much could be paid.

Other help from the Council

The Council also offers other support such as, free school meals to help families who are on a low income.