Housing Standard

Housing Standard

Whether you are a home owner or a tenant you are generally responsible for day to day maintenance of your home to keep it in a good state of repair.

Jowever, for rented accommodation, there are set standards which your landlord must make sure your property meets.

Details of the standards you can expect are given in this section.

Standards in Council & Housing Association Properties

The Welsh Government has set a minimum standard that all Council and Housing Assocation properties should meet by the end of 2012. This is known as the Welsh Housing Quality Standard. The standard says that tenants should be able to live in properties that are:

  • In a good state or repair.
  • Safe and secure
  • Adequatly heated, fuel efficient and well insulated.
  • Contain up to date kitchens and bathrooms.
  • Well managed
  • As fas as possible, suit the specific requirements of the household (e.g specific disabilities).

If you are a Council or Housing Association tenant and have any questions about whether any furhter work is planned for your home contact your landlord. You must also check with them if you want to arrange any home improvements yourself.

Standards in Privately Rented Accommodation

Privately rented accomodation should be let in a good condition - landlrod should make sure that their propertied are well maintained and meet the standards set by law.

All privately rented properties are covered by the Housing Health and Saftey rating Sysyem and the Council has the power to take action if health & saftey hazards in the property are found to unacceptable and need to be put right. As well as this, there are other standards that some types of property have to meet. Houses in Mupltiple Occupation which have 3 or more stoeys, and have 5 or more people living in them must be licenced with the Council and must meet the standards set within the licence.

If you landlrod is unwilling to deal with poor condidtions in your property, or if you have any queries relating to haousing standards in privately rented accomodation, contact The Vale of Glamorgans Private Sector Housing Sectionon 01446 700 111 or via reqserve@valeofglamorgan.gov.uk.