Help with Paying Your Bills

Help with Paying Your Bills

If you are struggling to pay your gas, electricity or water bills you may be able to get some help. Contact your supplier direct to ask about their 'social tarriff' or click to on the links below to find out more.

You can also think about reducing your bills by changing how you live, or making home improvements which will help you use less energy. You may even be able to get a grant to help with some of these.

If you want to talk to an independent advisor about your options call the Home Heat Helpline on 0800 33 66 99.

Gas & electricity - is there a cheaper option for you?

Most energy companies have schemes to help people who:

  • Are on a low income
  • receive certain welfare benefits or
  • whose energy bills are high compared to their income

To find out if your suppler can help click on their logo:

British Gas - Warm House discount     EDf Energy     Eon     Npower     Scottish Hydro     Swalec    

Water Bills

If your water bill is high, either because you have a large family or because a memebr of your household has a medical condition that results in high water use, you may be able to get help through the Welsh Water Assist Scheme. To Qualify you must be receiving certain welfare benefits.

Help with Gas, Electricity or Water arrears

The energy companies and Welsh Water have trust funds to help people who are suffering hardship and are struggling with arrears. The arrangemnets vary slightly so use the links below to see what your supplier can offer:

Fuel Direct-  payments from your Benefits

If you have gas, electricity or water bill arrears, and you recieve Income Support, Pension Credit, Income-related Emplyment and Support Allowance or Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, you can ask your benefits office to pay the supplier directly out of your benefit. For more information click here.

Winter Fuel/ Cold Weather Payments

If you have reacher the qualifying age you may get a Winter Fuel Payment to help pay for keeping warm during the winter. If you have any queries call the Winter Fuel Payments Helpline on 0845 915 1515.

If you receive Pension Credit, Income Support, Income-Based Jobseeker's Allowance or Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, you may also be able to get a Cold Weather Payment for each seven day period of very cold weather payment between 1st Novemebr and 31st March. Click here for more information.