Private Rented Accommodation

Private renting in the Vale.

We have updated the information relating to renting privately.  You can view the new information here.

If you are looking for accommodation in the Vale of Glamorgan, and you need it quickly, then your best option will be to find accomodation in the private rented sector, rather than waiting for social housing (Council or Housing Asssociation).

There is a good supply of private rented accommodation in the Vale, particularly around Barry, Penarth and Llantwit Major. Renting privatly offers:

  • Choice - a range of accommodation exists with flats and apartments being more readily available in some areas and houses in others.
  • Flexibility - you choose which areas you want to consider.
  • Speed - many properties will be available from the day you want/need them.

A range of furnished and non-furnished properties are available.

Landlord Accreditation

It is important when looking for a place to live you look past the decor and location, and make sure you are taking on a well managed, safe home.

Finding a decent home with a good landlord can sometimes seem tough. However, the Councils in Wales are trying to make the choice easier and promote good landlord and agents by accrediting them.
This scheme applies to individual landlords as well as agents and companies.

In order to search for accredited Landlords in Wales go to the website

Additionally if you are looking to live in a large shared house, legally this property might need a licence. You can also find out about this and other legal issues at

Can I afford it?

If you are on a low income, you may qualify for Housing Benefit to help you pay the rent. You can contact the Housing Benefits Department on 01446 709244 or alternativly you can use the Council's Housing Benefit Calculator to get an instant benefit estimate. Remember that you will also have to pay other bills such as gas, electricity and water - use the budget planner to help make sure that you can cover these costs.

Will Housing Benefit fully cover the rent?

The maximum amount of Housing Benefit that can be paid depends on the size of the property that your household needs and is set by Local Housing Allowance rates. Please note that you may not receive the maximum amount as your household income and savings will be taken into account to assess your Housing Benefit claim.

What if I can't afford to pay a Bond?

If you are homeless, or threatened with homelessness, and do not have savings or access to money to pay a bond, the Vale of Glamorgan Housing Advice Team may be able to assist you. They will assess your housing needs and, if you meet the criteria for help, may be able to assist you into Private Rented Accomodation. The criteria is strict as funding is limited. You will only be assessed to see if you meet this criteria if you are a resident in the Vale of Glamorgan. For more information contact the Vale of Glamorgan Housing Advice Team, Civic Offices, Holton Road, Barry, CF63 4J (01446 709567).

Remember: If you pay a cash bond to a landlord they must protect it under one of the Government's authorised tenancy deposit schemes and tell you within 14 days of receiving it which scheme they have used. If you have any dispute with your landlord always seek advice.

How Long will I be able to stay?

Tenancies are generally 'assured shorthold' for 6 to 12months. They can usually be extended if you haven't breached the terms of your tenancy agreement. As always, contact an advice agency if you need further help and advice.

How can I find a property?

Use the Available Properties link to find details of properties owned by landlords who accept Housing Benefit. Other options would be to look in local papers, contact a letting agent or have a look on property finder websites such as Rightmove and Gum Tree.

The Landlord Accreditation Wales website provides details of landlords who are accredited and should therefore provide well managed accommodation. Similarly, the ARLA website provides information about letting agents who meet specific professional management standards.

Shared Accommodation

Are you unable to afford your current accomodation? Do you need to find a room or a house share in your local area?

You may want to think about renting a room in a shared house or flat, where you would have your own room and share facilities such as kitchen, bathroom and living rooms. If you choose to live in shared accommodation not only will you find somewhere to live, but you may also save money. Household bills (e.g. council tax, electricity, water, internet and telephone line rental) may be included in the rent or may be split between the number of people living in the house. Shared houses and flats can also be very social and could help you to meet new friends.

You could find a room in a shared house or flat by looking in the local paper, shop windows and advertisement boards. The websites listed below may help you to find a room in a shared house or flat.

What About Furniture?

Furnished and unfurnished properties are available in most areas of the city. Track2000 and Freecycle may be able to assist with your furniture needs.

Alternatively, you may want to find out whether you are eligible for a Community Care Grant or Budgeting Loan to help with the costs of furniture/household equipment or other costs associated with the move.

Average prices can be seen on the RentRight website.